Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Geisha and Samurai Paper Dolls


I made these dolls for a swap hosted by my friend Daphne. I chose a "Geisha and Samurai" theme. The dolls and the outfits were cut at 4 1/2" at Blackout using my Everyday paper Dolls and Paper Doll Dress Up cartridges. I had to do a lot of paper piecing, which is surprising, considering that the Japanese aesthetic is simple. I drew on the faces using a technical pen and colored the eyes with an E33 Copic Marker. I added definition for the skin using chalk. I opted for the look of a novice geisha without her rice powder make-up. I also made swords for the samurai warrior, after all, what's a Samurai without a sword? The geisha dolls were embellished using flower soft, stickles and I used lime green yarn on their "obi". I kept my Samurai simple.

2 comments:

  1. These turned out so great. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely fantastic!!! We just finished hosting a Diversity Festival at our elementary school last week and these would have been perfect in our Asia hallway! I posted a picture of the dolls we used to put around a globe in the school entryway on my blog if you'd like to take a look.

    Melissa
    www.disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete